Our School's History
St. Andrew’s Weekday School was established in 1952 at the time of the founding of St. Andrew’s United Methodist Church. A desire for a Christian setting for social interaction for their young children prompted church families to seek a weekday program sponsored by the church. Classes for four and five year olds were then held in a house on Greenwich that the church used for its Sunday activities. The program was called “St. Andrew’s Kindergarten.”
Classes for 3-year olds were added in the 1960’s. In the 1970’s the name was changed to “St. Andrew’s Weekday School,” and the day was extended into the early afternoon. The goals of the school were expanded to include not only social growth but also intellectual, emotional, physical, and spiritual development.
Summer sessions along with before- and after-school care were added in the 1980’s. In 1984, a first grade class was opened with second grade beginning the next year. Third grade soon followed. The school was first accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children in 1990.