History of our school
St. Andrew’s Weekday School was established in 1952 at the time of the founding of St. Andrew’s United Methodist Church. A desire for a Christian setting for social interaction for their young children prompted church families to seek a weekday program sponsored by the church. Classes for four and five year olds were then held in a house on Greenwich that the church used for its Sunday activities. The program was called “St. Andrew’s Kindergarten.”
Classes for 3-year olds were added in the 1960’s. In the 1970’s the name was changed to “St. Andrew’s Weekday School,” and the day was extended into the early afternoon. The goals of the school were expanded to include not only social growth but also intellectual, emotional, physical, and spiritual development.
Summer sessions along with before- and after-school care were added in the 1980’s. In 1984, a first grade class was opened with second grade beginning the next year. Third grade soon followed. The school was first accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children in 1990.
Great Beginnings began as a Mother’s Day Out program in 1985. Soon after the need was seen for expanded care for infants through 3-year olds and the current day Great Beginnings was born. Great Beginnings also became accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). In 2004, Great Beginnings, already under the sponsorship of the church, combined with the Weekday School to be administered by one director and board. Great Beginnings and the Weekday School now serve infants through kindergarten five days a week from early morning until late afternoon to serve the needs of all parents. As of July 31, 2009, St. Andrew’s Weekday School and Great Beginnings is re-accredited under the new NAEYC Accreditation System.